Thursday, January 15, 2009


I have had to put Double Delight Quilt on hold for a bit. I am going to take a quilting class Saturday and need to get the fabric chosen and cut out for this. It is a jelly roll quilt and instead of purchasing a jelly roll, I am making my own using fabric from my stash!!!! I have chosen a bright floral print and needed to find lots of brights to coordinate with it. I keep looking and digging and even found a bin with a project I wanted to start, but never did, which had lots of brights in it!! JACKPOT!! I've been busy ironing fabric and cutting strips and re-packing the bin up so that when I am ready to start that quilt a majority of the fabrics will already be ironed and ready to cut up!!
Above is a picture of the fabric. For some reason the colors do not seem very bright. I will take a better picture of my blocks so you can see how bright they are! I am getting some of the jelly roll strips subcut into rectangles before the class, but I have a dilemma. It is a two block quilt.

First block is cut 4 ½” squares. Sew 2 ½” rectangles around it. This equals a finished 8” block.

Second block .. ends up being a square in a square variation. Soooo.. center square is a nine-patch. Directions say to cut the pieces 2 3/8” … NOT 2 ½” which is what I thought it would be. Then of course cutting the triangles to finish up the block.

My question is this: I am tired of cutting!!! And truly don’t want to trim down my 2 ½” pieces to 2 3/8” pieces. I mean cutting 1/8” from 60 pieces of fabric!! GROAN.. (whine, whine, whine) sorry.

Does anyone have a good reason why these should be 2 3/8 and not 2 ½”? This is all the information That I have. I will not get the book until I show up for the class on Saturday morning.

I am half way considering 2 ways. 1. Sew the seam larger!! Or 2. Just sew it ¼” and deal with whatever happens next which may be corners that are chopped off.

What do you think? Any suggestions or ideas why the smaller measurement for the 9-patch?
I have put this question to two groups I am in and will see what answers I may get! I wish I had thought to throw this question out sooner. Oh well.. such is life!!
Off to deal with chores and dreaded housework.
Take care, Trish

No comments: